Saturday, December 4, 2010

Apple Banana Cupcakes

 I was seated down for breakfast when I noticed 3 overripe bananas in our fruit basket. Being a person who was never comfortable with being wasteful, my first thought was to make some banana bread. But the recipe I used needed around 7 or 8 bananas, so I decided to make muffins instead.

No, this was not a recipe from Lola's collection. A few months ago, while browsing through Allrecipes.com, I came across this recipe for Apple Banana Cupcakes. It was well-reviewed by other bakers so I decided to give it a whirl.

At first I was a little intimidated since the recipe called for buttermilk, which isn't very common here in the Philippines. But a substitute could be made by simply putting together 1 tablespoon of white vinegar and a cup of milk and letting it sit for 5 minutes.

Mixing my batter I could already get a glimpse of the final product, thanks to the pungent smell of the nutmeg and cinnamon. Baking each batch for a little over 20 minutes, the recipe yielded 32 small cupcakes, which were really more like muffins I think.



It was a really good recipe. The cupcake was soft and light, not as heavy as a regular muffin. It was the "melt in your mouth" kind. I also chose to omit the frosting, since I deemed them sweet enough as is. It's a perfect pastry (or is it bread?) for the holidays! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment